Wiang Kum Kam is an ancient city, according to the chronicles and archaeological evidence, the old city was built by King Mangrai around the latter part of the 13th century.
The city was established as a new capital by the King after his victory over the Mon people is kingdom of Hariphunchai, modern Lamphun. Due to repeated flooding, a new capital, Chiang Mai, was built a few years later. Wiang Kum Kam flourished during the reign of the Mangrai dynasty until the late 16th century.
The old city was then lost from history for many years after Chiang Mai was conquered by the Burmese in 1558. There is a presumption that it was seriously flooded again at this time and was finally abandoned. The people were moved back to this area again more than 200 years later with a new community, and it was then named Chang Kham village.
Located : in Saraphi District in the northern region of Thailand, around 3 km (1.9mile) south of the southeastern corner of Chiang Mai city centre.
Open hours : 8am – 5pm